7.16.2010

@ 11:09 PM

Perhaps-- I attempt to be so open-minded
that I'm actually really closed-minded.
And when I'm annoyed or I think my
opinion is better-- I shut down, dig
my heels and begin to think of
how I wouldn't or couldn't work with
someone. It's a clash of poetry and
performance. And I feel your
opinion just doesn't compare.

----

This is a journal entry I wrote on 6.1.10-- the week of our final spring quarter performance Covering the Bases: The F-Word Ladies talk about sex. I thought that this could be something to share with the rest of the ladies along with other readers. Even as a performer and an overall human-- we have opinions on EVERYTHING. And we all know this. And even within a group where we talk about the things that don't really get talked about we as a group have some clashing moments and so very strong opinions about how a piece should go or how movement is specific. I like to think that we remember our purpose-- our end goal. It's not how we agree, but how we understand each other and the art that we wish to create for our ourselves and audience members.

One of my personal goals is to lessen the amount of how much I talk behind other peoples backs. This doesn't make me a bad person, because I don't want to say that I am. No one likes that. But now that I've said it-- I got to do it. I want you all to call me out on my bullshit.

I'll be counting on you.

Always,

Sonja Mata

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome. It doesn't make one a "bad person" to talk behind others' backs. It's next to instinctual to do so. But I commend you for your attempt to eradicate that negativity from your life. we would all do well to take this leaf.

    ReplyDelete